We all must have heard about the term air compressor. After all, it makes up such an important part of all our major appliances. But what we fail to understand is its true meaning and significance.
So in simple terms, an air compressor is a device that has the capability to convert power (by using diesel, an electric motor, or gasoline engine) into potential energy which can then be stored in pressurized air (in other words, compressed air).
So when this air will be released in to a quick burst, it releases an amount of kinetic energy. This kinetic energy can then be used for a wide variety of purposes.
Some of this include air transfer (such as filling up a tire), pneumatic device activation, and cleaning operations.
The way in which air compressors can work is usually divided in to two phases. This includes the compression operation and then the release operation. Other than that, there are also several other methods.
Basically, the way air compressor works is that it forces more and more air in to a storage tank which then leads to the pressure being increased.
So when the tank will be reaching its upper limit, the air compressor will then be shut off. This compressed air will then be stored in the tank until the need arises.
However, when the tank will be reaching its lower limit, the air compressor will be turned on again. In this way, the tank will be re-pressurized again.
Here are some of the most popular air compressors reviews for you:
1. Porter-Cable C2002-WK Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor Review – Best Air Compressor For The Money
If you are looking for an air compressor that would be complete value for your money, then you should definitely check out the review for PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor with 13-Piece Accessory Kit.
Since this compressor has been made in the pancake style, it is able to pack a punch. This is because the induction motor helps in providing extended life and improved performance.
This means that you will not have to go through the hassle of getting your air compressors changed after every few years. The soft-start motor ensures that the compressor will not start off with a bang and hence causing disruption in the surrounding environment.
As a result, it also makes it extremely suitable to be used for inside household work as well. The 150 Psi max pressure allows the air compressor to run for an extended amount of time without any decrease in the performance being noticed.
Features of the PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor:
The PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor measures 18.3 x 18 x 19 inches and has a total weight of 34 pounds.
The PORTER-CABLE is able to remit 90 PSI at 2.6 SCFM with the maximum capacity of 150 PSI. Evidently it allows this a quick recovery times as well as more air to be stored for extended period.
Thinking of those who do not like dealing with the installation hassles, the plug and air coupler come pre-installed on the air hose. In addition to saving energy, this adds value in terms of safety measures as it prevents leaks.
The pancake-style tank which weighs six gallons allows for stability. This also includes rubber feet and water drain valve.
It has an easy start up at low-amp 120-volt. With an extension cord it doesn’t give you trouble in starting even in the coldest of environments. The compressor is environmentally friendly as it is equipped with a durable oil-free pump.
One of the features about it that will catch your eyes are the console cover protect and shroud handle that comes attached to it. The handle especially makes the job of carrying around a compressor quite easy.
- Powerful Motor. This compressor is a workhorse and you can easily carry out heavy-duty work. It has been found to have ample capacity to allow two framing nailers to be kept busy at once.
- Efficient Design. The creators of this air compressor had the environment in mind. It comes with an oil-free pump system which can cut back on maintenance costs, ensure longer lifespan, and save you on messes to clean.
- Ample, Useful Accessories. The PORTER-CABLE comes with a vast 13-piece accessory kit so you can exploit the full potential of its diverse usage and versatility.
- Comes with 1-year warranty.
Advantages of the PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK
- The air capacity and PSI allows this power-hungry compressor to work without facing any hurdles
- Very quick recovery times
- Includes water drain valve and rubber feet to prevent slipping and scratching of floors.
- Ample capacity that allows two framing nailers to be kept busy
- Includes a terrific lightweight hose that has plug and air coupler already installed
- Includes an accessory kit to provide even more value for the price
- Relatively low-priced for the amount of versatility and features it provides
The PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK has glowing customer reviews, and for good reason. It provides amazing value for the price, and it only gets better with the added 13-piece accessory kit.
Users say that its combination of power, versatility, compact design, and energy efficient use make it an all-around great option
It serves a variety of different purposes, and you really can’t argue with its value for the price. This is highly recommended if you are searching for a versatile and well-priced compressor to use.
2. Makita MAC2400 Big Bore 2.5 HP Air Compressor Review – Best Overall Air Compressor
The Makita MAC2400 air compressor is a 2.5 horsepower compressor. The manufacturer claims it has a cooler running pump, which minimizes wear, and they boast of durable cast iron cylinders as well. It comes with a built-in thermal overload to give the motor even more protection.
Makita is a well known brand name for many home and industrial power tools, and the Makita MAC2400 air compressor is just one of hundreds in their arsenal.
The unit is equipped with the Big Bore engineered pump cylinder and piston, for higher output for the nailers.
The Makita MAC2400 air compressor is said to be quieter than other compressors, and be able to deliver industrial power under any job site conditions.
Makita MAC2400 Air Compressor Features:
- Cast-iron cylinder with greater bore and stroke for max performance
- Runs at lower RPM (1,720), resulting in greater motor and pump life
- Low AMP draw reduces instances of tripped breakers
- Conveniently located oil drain and oil sight glass for access and maintenance
- 4.2 “Twin Stacked” gallon tank
- Noise level 79 dB
- Weight 77 pounds
- Operating pressure of 130 PSI, and delivers 40 PSI, and 90 PSI, enough for two nailers
The Makita MAC2400 air compressor does carry a one year warranty, and they say that every Makita tool is inspected and tested prior to leaving their factory.
When you order this unit you receive not only the air compressor, but the oil and ¼ inch universal quick coupler.
How Do Customers Feel About The Makita MAC2400 air compressor?
- I needed a compressor to put up a fence, install mouldings and refinish my basement. After a TON of research, I settled on this Makita. I am very pleased. It’s quiet, very well built and easy to use. So far I’ve run a framing nailer and brad nailer with no problems.
- I’ve read other reviews that speak to the weight of this unit. Well, it’s a compressor and they ARE heavy. That’s just how it is. Especially a high-quality compressor like this one. It’s not a tinny piece of junk and there’s only plastic on it where it makes total sense – no where else. Makita also puts a NICE molded rubber handle on it that doesn’t shift or move one bit. The thing’s built like a tank and looks great. I have yet to trip a 15-Amp breaker with it.
- After doing a lot of research I settled on this Makita. I have to say the reviews are right- its quiet, and yes heavy, but you can feel and hear the quality in this machine. I don’t intend on moving it around much, I was concerned more with noise and build quality, both of which are superb on this model. I had bought a craftsman compressor and returned it because it was a piece of junk, and came out of the box dirty and didn’t work- I’m guessing it was a refurb. Anyways, this machine is great, I highly recommend it.
Makita MAC2400 Air Compressor Review Summary
Research on the Makita MAC2400 air compressor shows that most customers are happy with their purchase. There were some complaints and they all seemed to center around the same problem.
Some people said their compressor tank would fill up slowly and stop at 40 PSI. The tank should only take a couple of minutes to fill up.
Although a few people did have problems, as a whole we feel this is a great machine and that it is well worth the money. If you are looking for a great air compressor, then try the Makita MAC2400 air compressor.
3. Senco PC1010 1-Horsepower Peak, 1/2 HP Running 1-Gallon Compressor Review – Best Portable Air Compressor
If you are in search of the best portable air compressor, then you should definitely check out Senco PC1010 1-Horsepower Peak, 1/2 hp running 1-Gallon Compressor.
This compressor has been designed specifically with the significance of maneuverability in mind.
It allows work to be finished in a trim manner, along with variety of hobbies and crafts. In other words, it is a high performing compressor in a portable and compact machine. In this way, you will be able to carry it wherever the need arises.
In addition, this compressor also provides sample pressure for light and medium jobs, ensuring you will face no trouble at all in getting the work done.
Features of the Senco PC1010 1-Horsepower Peak, 1/2 HP Running 1-Gallon Compressor
The Senco PC1010 1-Horsepower Peak, 1/2 HP running 1-Gallon Compressor measures 14 x 13 x 10 inches and has a total weight of 20 pounds.
It comes with one gallon capacity and half horsepower running, with a peak at one horsepower. With a delivery rate of around 20 to 44 drives per minute, it is ideal for a wide variety of home improvement and renovation jobs.
- Oil-free Design. One of the most pleasant features of this compressor is its oil-free design, which means you don’t have to get your hands dirty when using it. This freedom from oil makes the maintenance and care part of the compressor much easier.
- Low Noise. The creators of this compressor were considerate to reduce the noise rate significantly. The low noise makes it an ideal companion for home, and you won’t have to worry about neighbors complaining.
- Lightweight and Portable. At 20 pounds with small dimensions and a carrying handle, this compressor is a breeze to carry around.
- Excellent Usability. While this is your go-to compressor for carrying out trimming work and small jobs around the house, it is very versatile in its usability. Allows a wide range of efficient work to be performed from lightweight to medium level duties.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty.
Advantages of the Senco PC1010
- Extremely quiet compressor
- Very light in weight making it a breeze to be carried from place to place
- Rubber-covered feet prevents it from slipping and sliding, and from scratching your hardwood floors
- Recovery time has been reported to be shorter than other compressors on the market
- Relatively low-priced for the amount of versatility it provides
Once again, if you’re looking for the best portable air compressor, there is no doubt that the Senco PC1010 is the cream of the crop.
Not only is it lightweight and quiet, but because of its massive power, it allows work to be done efficiently for a variety of different purposes.
The customer reviews in general have also been found to be mostly favorable. They have been using it for many years now and are extremely satisfied with it.
In terms of the price being charged for the Senco compressor, it has been found to be worth every penny.
4. DEWALT DWFP55130 Heavy Duty 200 PSI Quiet Trim Compressor Review – Best Air Compressor For Home
Air compressors are something that is mainly used in carpentry and construction work. But sometimes, the need for an air compressor arises inside the home as well.
So for that, the best air compressor for home is considered to be the DEWALT DWFP55130 Heavy Duty 200 PSI Quiet Trim Compressor.
This air compressor has a compact design which makes it easy to store. The oil-free and durable pump ensure that you do not have to incur any costs for additional maintenance.
The roll cage design also allows for comfortable and convenient storage, transportation, and protection.
The trim compressors are usually used for indoor purposes. So for this, it needs to be quiet. And this DEWALT air compressors provides the users with just that.
Features of the DEWALT DWFP55130 Heavy Duty 200 PSI Quiet Trim Compressor
The DEWALT DWFP55130 Heavy Duty 200 PSI Quiet Trim Compressor measures 21.6 x 17.4 x 13.8 inches and has a total weight of 36 pounds. Inside the purchase box is the air compressor, the instruction manual, and 2 universal air couplers.
This air compressor has been designed around the philosophy of functionality and you have to give them credit on their success.
It has a 2.5 gallon tank with the maximum tank pressure of PSI 200. Its oil-free design specification allows air pumping easy and ensures an extended life with cost effective maintenance prospect.
At 71.5 dB, you don’t have to deal with the typical loud noises that comes attached to compressors and makes it your ideal partner for indoor use. Also, 90 PSI at an air delivery rate of 3.0 SCFM makes those nailing jobs super easy.
- Oil-Free Design. It’s hard not to appreciate the fact that the pump is made free of oil which means it doesn’t need oil to stay lubricated. You don’t have to deal with those stinky oil mess and stains.
- Low Noise. The noise-free specification gives you the freedom to do your household work without disturbing your children’s sleep.
- Portability. The amazing portability feature of this trim compressor is very delightful. It weighs in at 36 pounds and comes with handle, making carrying it around a breeze.
- Easy Start Up. Low 12 amp motor reduces breaker tripping and provides easy starting.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty.
Advantages of the Dewalt DWFP55130
- Great portability and size allows for easy carrying and storage
- Allows for inside household work to be done without causing any noise disruptions
- Found to work well with framers
- Solid recovery time compared to other trim compressors
- Easy start up and low-noise machine
The biggest drawback of the Dewalt DWFP55130 is that it’s not meant for heavy-duty work. It is not the best option for tools which require a constant flow of air such as pneumatic sanders and heavy paint gun use.
However, it will handle things such as tires and nail guns with ease.
All in all, the bottom line is that this trim air compressor is the best air compressor which you will be able to find for your home.
It’s a powerful, compact compressor that is ideal for frequent transportation. The only downsides are in regards to heavy-duty work, which is referenced above.
In addition, since this trim air compressor is small and quiet, you will also be able to carry out conversation without the noise causing any disruption for you.
In this way, even when it is turned on, your neighbors will also not be disturbed as well.
How to Pick the Right Air Compressor
When thinking about buying an air compressor, you might be feeling pretty lost. This is because with so many options and varieties being available, you would not know which one to choose and which one to leave.
Other than that, your basic understanding of air compressors would also be very weak. So when thinking about buying an air compressor, you should take in to consideration the following factors.
In this way, you will be able to find an air compressor which would be just right for your needs and requirements.
When choosing an air compressor, the portability of the machine is one of the major factors which you would need to consider.
This is because in this way, you will be able to carry it wherever you would like. So in terms of portable compressors, you will be able to find it in a wide variety of sizes and shapes.
As for the stationary compressors, they have been designed in a way which will remain fixed in one place.
The air compressors are usually powered by either gasoline or electricity. The electric compressors are usually run on the general household voltage.
On the other hand, gasoline compressors are known to work under higher voltage requirements. This is because they are usually used by re-modelers and builders for their heavy-duty work.
The performance ratings will also need to be looked if you would like to find the right air compressor for you.
You can do this by personal research or also by reading the reviews on Amazon. If you do this correctly, you will be able to determine if it is suitable for your or not.
In this article we tried to give you an basic idea about air compressor and we did some air compressor reviews for you. you can read our bostitch air compressor reviews also as bostitch has good reputation on air compressor production sector.